What happens to my case if I fail to pay my fine?

If you fail to pay a fine as ordered:

  • Your driver's license may be suspended for failure to pay any driving-related case
  • A hold may be placed on your vehicle registration
  • Contempt of Court proceedings may be initiated
  • Your wages may be garnished
  • Your Personal property may be attached
  • There may be a lien placed on any real property you own
  • Your State tax refunds may be retained by the State

How do I set up a plan of payment?
You can set up a plan of payment with the County Attorney for any case which has become delinquent (90 days past disposition without payment plan, or, where there is a court-ordered payment plan, breaching that plan by 30 days). Case workers are listed below.

The minimum payment is Fifty Dollars ($50.00) per month. If you sign a plan of payment, you also agree to immediately notify the County Attorney of any changes in address or employment, and agree to initiate an assignment of wages once you become employed. A payment plan form is available at this site and may be mailed to your case worker or dropped off at the County Attorney's office in the basement of the Courthouse. A check or money order, made payable to "Iowa District Court," must be included with your payment plan before it will be filed.

How do I set up a wage assignment?
A wage assignment form (payroll deduction) is available at this site and may be mailed to your case worker or dropped off at the County Attorney's office in the basement of the Courthouse. If you wish to set up payroll deduction at a rate that is less than the standard rate listed on the wage assignment form, you must call your caseworker to discuss the amount. Case workers are listed below.

Where do I make my payments?
After your initial payment, a check or money order payment, should be mailed or delivered to the Clerk of Court each time a payment is due. Make checks payable to "Iowa District Court." The mailing address is P.O. Box 9500, Waterloo, IA 50704. The County Attorney will also accept a cash or money order payment, but you should still make it out to "Iowa District Court." Cash payments will be accepted only by the Clerk of Court on the first floor of the Courthouse, 316 East Sixth Street, Waterloo. The Clerk is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.; Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.

Can I pay by credit or debit card?
You can pay with a Visa, Mastercard, or Discover. Credit or debit card payments are accepted by the Clerk of Court or by your County Attorney case worker, either in person or by phone. You may also pay online by accessing the following link (https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/DefaultFrame). Click on "Payment Search" and follow the prompts.

Can I set up automatic weekly or monthly credit or debit payments with my County Attorney case worker?
Your County Attorney case worker may agree to run your card for you when each payment is due. If you wish to arrange debit or credit payments, please fill out the form available at this site and mail or deliver it to your County Attorney case worker. Case workers are listed below.

I have been notified by my county treasurer that there is a hold on my vehicle registration because of unpaid Iowa fines. How do I remedy this?
The simplest solution is to pay any amounts due at the Clerk of Court's office and to advise the Clerk that you need the registration hold on that case(s) lifted.  You will then need to take the zero balance receipt(s) to the county Treasurer.

If you are unable to pay in full, you may contact the County Attorney's office and speak to your case worker in order to arrange an acceptable payment plan. No release will be given on a promise to pay only. You will be required to make a payment of at least a percentage of the total amount due and to arrange payment of the balance with your case worker. Once this is done, you will be given a lift notice that will give you a 10 day window in which you can register your vehicle. You will not be given a release in subsequent years unless all payments are current.

Please note: The County Attorney can only lift a registration hold which has been imposed for amounts due in his/her county. If there are unpaid fines in more than one county, a lift hold will need to be arranged in each county.

My driving privileges are suspended. Can the County Attorney's office help me get my license back?
Driver's License Reinstatement Program forms are available at this site and may be mailed to your case worker or dropped off at the County Attorney's office in the basement of the Courthouse. If you are barred or revoked until a future date, this program will NOT enable you to obtain a license. The program is designed to aid those individuals who are suspended strictly for nonpayment of Iowa fines. For those individuals who qualify, you will be required to make monthly payments, provide proof that you have financial liability coverage (auto insurance), and provide proof that your insurance is current each time you pay it. Cases can only be part of this program once. Should you default, you will need to pay all suspending cases in full before you will be able to get your license again.

Last NameContactPhone NumberEmail
(A - F)Hilary319-833-3044hjlagow@blackhawkcounty.iowa.gov
(G - L)Lesa319-833-3040lcollum@blackhawkcounty.iowa.gov
(M- Sa)Sara319-833-3030sasmith@blackhawkcounty.iowa.gov
(Sc - Z)Kristin319-833-3044khinds@blackhawkcounty.iowa.gov