Military Service Records

Discharge papers (DD214’s) may be recorded for permanent records and certified to perfect claims. In order to obtain a Certified Copy, the original document must be presented for recording. The DD214, must also be recorded before military exemption is applied toward property tax reduction. The form to apply for a certified copy is on our Forms page. There is no fee for recording or getting a certified copy, although you have to show entitlement to receive a copy.

If the DD214 Military Discharge has been misplaced or destroyed prior to recording, a certified copy must be obtained from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO. You may download a copy of the request from the National Archives and Register Administration.

For more information visit Black Hawk County Veterans Affairs Department.